This article describes how to use the configure account structures form in Dynamics AX 2012. The configure account structures functionality is used to define valid combinations of main account and financial dimensions as well as the seizure order from the main account and dimensions.
When you post a transaction in Dynamics AX, the accounting is done in the main account, but it can also be done in several financial dimension. The account structure allows to define valid combinations of main account and financial dimension. If you don’t need the same information for a balance transaction that for a purchase transaction, you can create several structure.
For example, I need to have a department dimension for all the main accounts. For the profit and loss account, I need to have in addition the cost center dimension. And the last requirement is to be able to follow the budget for all the purchase transaction.
For this example, I need to create 3 accounts structures :
- AS1: All Balance account + Department dimension.
- AS2: All Purchase account + Department dimension + Cost center dimension + Budget dimension.
- AS3: Profit &Loss account exclude purchase account in AS2 + Department dimension + Cost center dimension.
- Define one account structure rule per “account-dimension key”.
- All the account to use for budgeting must be in the same structure.
- If you need a “fixed blank” dimension, use a specific account structure without the dimension.
2. Setup account structures
Access: GL > Setup > Chart of account > Configure account structure
- Click on “Account structure New”
- Enter the account structure code
- Enter a description
- Select “Add main account” if needed.