Dynamics AX has a method of handling notes and documents attached to various items. Attachments functionality is available in all transactions forms: Customer, Vendor, Invoices, Journals, Purchase requisition, …
Add a note
You can use the note attachment to add a comment to a transaction.
- Open the form.
- Place your mouse in the section you want to add a note (header or line).
- Click on the Attachments button.
The Attachment button is also available from the status bar.
- Document handling form opens.
- Click on New.
- Select Note.
- Enter a title in the Description field.
- Select the Restriction:
- External to print the note on the document (for purchase order, free text invoice for example).
- Internal: to use the note in AX only (the note will not be printed in a document).
- In the bottom area, enter the text.
- Click on Close.
- Open the form and place your mouse in the section you want to add a note (header or line).
- Click on the Attachment button. The Document handling form opens.
- Click on New and select File (or a file type for a specific module).
- The Attach file form opens.
- Select the file to attach to the transaction.
- A new line is created and the Attached box is ticked.
- Click on Close.
When a note/document has been attached to a transaction, the Attachments button is highlighted.
In a grid view:
Or in a journal view
If the attachment button is not highlighted, go to File > Tools > Options > General fast tab, under the Miscellaneous section, tick Show attachment status.
- Click on the Attachments button to open the form.
- If the attachment is a file, click on Open to open the file.
- Or click on Show file to preview the file in the Note area.
For some type of file, the preview option may not render a preview-able image. The attahchment can be opened, it is just not visible via the preview.
The Document handling form always lists the documents that are attached to the selected record. If you leave the Document handling form open and you select another record, the form is updated to list the documents that are attached to the newly opened record.
To avoid updating the Attachment form when you select a different record, you can lock the view so that the information in the form doesn’t change.
To lock the Document handling form view:
- Select a record.
- Click on Attachments.
- Click on Functions.
- Select Lock.
- Select another record. The documents for the locked record are still displayed in the Document handling form.